- Drink lots of water – take a 1.5 litre (2.5 pint) bottle of water to work with you and try to finish it all by home time.
- Eat five portions of fruit and vegetables every day.
- Never skip breakfast.
- Plan your meals the week ahead. Write a shopping list and stick to it – use the internet where possible and never shop when you’re hungry.
- Keep a supply of healthy snacks to hand (fresh and dried fruit, wholesome cereal bars, rice cakes, low-fat fruit yoghurts and wholemeal pitta and hummus are some ideas).
- Remove all visible fat from food before you cook it – take the skin off chicken and trim the white fat off any meat. Don’t eat sausages (the fat’s not visible from the outside but it’s certainly there).
- Limit stimulants such as caffeine, alcohol and refined sugar.
- Limit the number of times you eat out to once a week. Take your own packed lunch to work or choose soup in the canteen (non-creamy ones).
- Take your time. Don’t cut out food groups all together, such as carbohydrates, in a bid to lose weight quickly – your body needs balance. And don’t do denial – you’ll only end up cracking.
- Only eat things you like the taste of – find what works for you and don’t force yourself to eat things just because they’re good for you.
- And finally…enjoy these lovely recipes – cooking should never be stressful and eating should always be a pleasure.