Ginger, in urdu we call it ADRAK, is said to be the most beneficial food/spice … a few of its benefits are mentioned here via this site 🙂
Ginger is an herb, which originated in China and later, spread to India, Southeast Asia, West Africa and the Caribbean. It is basically the rhizome of the monocotyledonous perennial plant Zingiber officinale. It has been in use since ages, both as a spice as well as an herb. The nutrients present inside ginger, especially its volatile oils – gingerols and shogaols, accord a number of health benefits to its users. Infact, ginger has also been found to be effective in fighting against some fatal ailments like cancer. In the following lines, we have provided information on nutritional value and health benefits of eating ginger.
Nutritional Value of Ginger
Ginger has been known to comprise of the following nutrients:
- Dietary Fiber
- Vitamin C, E and B6
Health & Nutrition Benefits of Eating Ginger
- Ginger has been found to be helpful in blocking the harmful effects of prostaglandin, a substance that can lead to inflammation of the blood vessels in the brain and even cause migraines.
- Ginger has been associated with alleviation of the feeling of nausea, even in case of pregnant women.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of ginger make it effective in alleviation of the pain associated with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Ginger helps to promote warmth in the upper respiratory tract and thus, is quite effective in treating cold and flu.
- Those suffering from cramps, caused by stomach gas, have found ginger to be quite effective.
- Ginger makes the platelets less sticky and is thus, pretty helpful in case of circulatory disorders.
- The cineole content in ginger has been found to be a mood enhancer and can help in relieving stress.
- Even ginger tea is said to be a great stress buster and has been found to have refreshing properties.
- Ginger is a natural and effective mouth freshener and also aids digestion.
- Ginger reduces inflammation and also helps lower cholesterol.
- Ginger is good for those suffering from gas and bloating.
- Ginger is believed to have anti-cancer properties.
- Ginger has been associated with easing of menstrual cramps and mitigation of headache.
- Ginger is quite effective in treating diarrhea.